Note that the gameplay video is choppy at times because of the screen recorder.
Facilitated Escape is a 2D game with a retro feel, based around escaping from a collapsing facility in your rocket. The challenge comes from dodging and weaving between oncoming "blocks". Everything is procedurally generated, so every play is different (and you can never actually escape).
To run the game on Windows the executable must be in the same folder with the accompanied DLL files. To run the
.love file, you'll need the LÖVE's executable, which you can download from its homepage.
Source and License
You can find all the source code for the game at its GitHub repository. Feel free to poke around, see what you can learn; there's quite a bit at play in it.
The code is licensed under the zlib/libpng license. Art, music, and sound effects are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license.
The original version was created in less than 48 hours for the 21st Ludum Dare competition. The theme for this competition was "escape", hence the theme surrounding this game. If you'd like to see the source for the game that was submitted, take a look at the
I also made a timelapse of all the work I did during the competition (around 18.5 hours), which can view on YouTube.
You can download the Ludum Dare version from the links below:
- LÖVE - The game engine.
- TextMate - Text editor to write the code.
- Pixen - Pixel editor to make the art.
- GarageBand - Used to make the music track. I used Magical 8bit Plug to create the 8-bit tones.
- Bfxr - Web-based sound effect generator based on Sfxr. Used to make the sound effects of course.
- Audacity - Sound editor which I used to convert all sounds to Ogg Vorbis format.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements - Cut down version of the most used image editor, Photoshop. During the competition I used this (version 6) to quickly combine two sets of tiles. Later I used it to adjust the lightness of the tiles.
Uni 05 font from http://beeex.net/freebies/fonts/the-10-best-free-pixel-fonts.