Amongst Shadows is the game I created in less than 48 hours for Ludum Dare 25. It’s a stealth game, relying heavily on light and shadows; for example, enemies can’t see you in the dark. There’s little plot other than this: you are infiltrating some underground base to obtain something for a mysterious organisation.
The theme for Ludum Dare was “You are the Villain”. It isn’t actually clear whether the main character, and the organisation he’s working for, are good or bad. They appear bad, but the subject of what they do isn’t delved into. On a more philosophical note, the identity of the villain is generally a matter of who you ask. You are the villain to the guards, but not to yourself.
Due to limitations of time and my own patience, the game is a bit short and rough around the edges. There’s only six levels, the AI can be rather stupid, the lighting looks weird at times, and so on. There’s also an issue with input lag, making it hard to backstab; I think this is caused by either Flash or FlashPunk.
Source and License
You can find the full source for the game at its GitHub repository. Be warned, the code is a lot messier than I would like, as is usual for Ludum Dare. Everything (code, art, sound, etc.) is licensed under the zlib/libpng license.
- FlashPunk – The awesome Flash game engine.
- Sublime Text 2 – Text editor.
- Pixen – Pixel art editor.
- Ogmo Editor 0.9 – Level editor. 0.9 is the old AIR version.
- Bfxr – Sound effect generator.
- GarageBand – To make the background ambience.
- Audacity – Sound editor which I used to convert all sound effects to MP3 format.
- To the guys at Ludum Dare for running such an awesome competition.
- To Chevy Ray and Draknek for their work on FlashPunk.
- To my parents, for ensuring that I didn’t get too much sleep. 😛