For the last three weeks or so, I’ve been working on converting this site to Jekyll. I’ve been growing tired of WordPress for a while now, and for me, a programmer, Jekyll was the perfect fit. The big difference is that this site is now purely static, all the server has to deal with is HTML files, making load times much faster. But Jekyll generates the static site from lots of different pieces of information, so whenever I change something I have to regenerate the entire site. For my needs this isn’t bad, and it affords browsers a lot more speed while browsing the website.
However, probably the biggest appeal for me was actually Jekyll’s more manual way of doing things. I do pretty much everything related to the site via a text editor and the terminal, which actually makes me feel more comfortable. Furthermore, I have complete control over everything, and because Jekyll is much less monstrous than WordPress, it’s easy to customise things too. Jekyll is written in Ruby, which is my favourite programming language of course, so that makes things easier and more comfortable still.
That said, Jekyll is very simple at its core; I think this is a good thing. But this means that I’ve had to code a lot of functionality myself, partly why it’s taken me so long to get this Jekyll-powered site going. However, this does give me full control over things, and allows me to automate many things I had to do manually before (project page generation, for example).
Anyway, in closing, there are still quite a few things to do (including making the site design better – it’s currently pure CSS), but it’s mostly done. You can view the source behind this site, over at its repo; there’s a lot of cool stuff in there, especially the plugins. And finally, I’d like to thank Vita Botta for his excellent guide on migrating from WordPress to Jekyll, Migrating from WordPress to Jekyll – Part 2: **Everything** you need to know about Jekyll.
Thanks for reading, and tell me what you think of the new site